I came to this conclusion after being shocked at what careful study and skill I had to deploy to render our POTUS’ hair. I studied many photographs. I noted hair that cunningly gave the impression of being parted to the side before masterfully evading its expected course and escaping toward the back of the head. I helplessly followed strands of hair from their apparent origin on the scalp through swirly patterns before finding them (impossibly) seeming to reenter the scalp again instead of ending as actual human hair would. I discovered that other hair locks seemed to return unto their own origins like endless Moebius strips resting on Trump’s skull.
I came to the slow, shocking realization of the hairdresser’s otherworldly talent. S/he is capable of astounding artistry, engineering an optical illusion as genius as the works of Escher, giving the impression of subverting the laws of physics – all in the service of making a vanishingly scant quantity of wispy hair seem ample enough to almost decently cover the presidential pate, save in high winds, when all bets are off.
I conclude that the hairdresser is by far the most talented staff member left in the government, and should probably be given a more exalted and responsible position n that government; s/he can only be an improvement over many that work there now.
Alas, I must sadly admit that my own talent for depicting the work of this gifted stylist falls short. I did my best, but a dear friend took one look and gave me the damning verdict, “His hair looks too real.”
The materials: Hair used DMC embroidery thread colors Light Straw (#3822), Very Dark Straw (#3852), and Hazelnut Brown (#3828). Neck and ear as well as facial lines, Dark Rosewood (#3857). IIRC, the eyelid color was Ecru. Collar and inside of mouth were Black.
Having embroidered the face, eyelids and brows, I cut it out and laid it on the upholstery-grade linen background with fear and trembling. All I had read about the technique of back-basting appliques told me I had to work fast before everything unraveled.
Pinned it down with care. This was for strictly utilitarian purposes. Any resemblance to Hollywood-style voodoo practices are strictly coincidental.
Basted it down with purple thread (for easy spotting when unpicking it later) and trimmed it round.
Then the hard part; I unpicked the basting threads one or two at a time, tucked the excess fabric under and sewed it down with Dark Rosewood thread. (Took no photos of this part because I felt sure everything would come to pieces if I stopped.) To my joy, the fabric docilely allowed itself to be stuffed under and stitched down, giving me the three-dimensional bloated look I was aiming for.
Admittedly, it looks a mite wrinkled, but then so does he.
Then I took a break and saw a cat that looked like Hitler.
Added the first thread of Light Straw hair, sketched out the presidential skull in blue chalk to keep the anatomy straight…
Outlined the skull with a bit of Dark Rosewood, then the ear, and began adding hair in earnest…
Added the neck and back of head in Union Square Park (Abe Lincoln watched me sadly).